WHAT I DO
In July 2017, I will be going to the nations as a full time missionary. God has etched this call deeply on my heart for the past 8 years and I am so excited and honored to jump into it! It’s what I was created to do.
So, what exactly does it look like to be an international missionary? I’m sure that everyone who serves as a missionary in the nations would have a very, very different answer to this question – here’s what it looks like for me:
I serve as a self-supported, full-time missionary with an organization called Youth with a Mission (YWAM). I serve alongside this organization because God has shown me that they value what is close to His heart. YWAM (pronounced “WHY-Wham”) is a global movement of Christians from many cultures, age groups and Christian traditions who are dedicated to serving Jesus throughout the world. All YWAM missionaries are united with a common and core purpose: to know God and to make Him known.
Here’s a few things that characterize the work that I do as a missionary with YWAM:
- Perth, Australia + The Nations. YWAM is global, working in over 1,100 locations in over 180 countries with over 18,000 missionaries. My YWAM home base is in Perth, Australia, where I spend at least half of my year. The other half of the year will be spent leading teams and doing missionary work in other nations around the world.
- Training + Mobilizing Missionaries. A big part of YWAM’s focus is getting youth involved in missions work. Consequently, they do a great deal of work in training and equipping missionaries to go out to the nations. This makes up more than half of my focus during the year. I am really excited to be staffing the Foundations of Counseling in Ministry (FCM) school in 2017-18 and to get to pour into, serve and lead the students who are training to bring God’s love to the nations through counseling ministry, a ministry that is very close to my heart. The school runs from October to March each year and involves leading students on a 3-month outreach overseas.
- Counselling + Member Care. One of the areas that God has specifically called me to is counseling and missionary care. God’s heart is to see people function in their full identity and wholeness. A big part of this comes through the process of healing from past hurts and experiencing God’s love that transforms us. There is a huge need for people to help facilitate this healing through counseling and discipleship. This need is very present in the unreached, but it is also an urgent need in the body of Christ, and specifically on the mission field. God has put it on my heart to become equipped to minister to missionaries on the field who are struggling with emotional, spiritual and physical brokenness and need care in order to continue to walk in God’s call on their life. This is a long-term vision that God has put on my heart. Right now, it is still in development. Initially, it will involve continuing to learn and grown in my skills as a servant and counsellor to missionaries by being a part of the FCM and serving the Counseling ministry on YWAM Perth’s base.
- Evangelism. The heart of what I do is reaching the unreached with the good news. As a base, YWAM Perth makes it a priority to reach into the community of Perth and bring God’s love to the broken and lost. Each week, as a base we take Friday afternoons and evenings off to hit the city and love on people and share the good news. Some of my favorite conversations and stories of God’s power have come out of these times of ministry.
- Support Raising. As a missionary with YWAM, I am unpaid for the work that I do and am fully supported by the body of Christ to do this work for God in the nations. In particular, God has used this area to build my faith and teach me the importance of partnering with the body of Christ for the work that God is doing in the world today. Each month, I am funded by my team of supporters, both financially and in prayer and encouragement. Serving God in missions would be impossible without these people and I can’t fully express how much I enjoy and appreciate their partnership. If you’d like to be part of my support team, please see below for more information on click on the “How to Help” link in the menu.
As I continue on this journey and jump into ministry, I’ll continued to update this page with details on the work that God is doing. He has spoken so much to me over the last 8 years about the work that He wants to do in the nations and I can’t wait to walk alongside Him as He brings these things to pass!
WANT TO GET INVOLVED?
God has written it on my heart to be a missionary to the nations for Him. I can’t do it alone. Just like Paul and the original disciples that Jesus commissioned, I need the support and partnership of the body of Christ in prayer, community and financial provision. If you’d like to support me in any of these ways, please reach out to me at contact@lizrobertson[dot]net or use the information below.
But thanks be to God, who always leads us as captives in Christ’s triumphal procession and uses us to spread the aroma of the knowledge of him everywhere.
2 Corinthians 2:14
– Charles Spurgeon
To Give Monthly Support: Click on the button below to setup a monthly donation through PayPal
To Give a One-Time Gift: Click on the button below to setup a one-time donation through PayPal